Microsoft employee Isabel Laurent shares her Venezuelan roots through a tasty dish – Arepas Horneadas (Baked Arepas). Gather around for some home cooked eats.
For more stories about people at Microsoft, visit: https://www.microsoftlife.com
Follow along @MicrosoftLife on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
Ingredients (Yield: 5 arepas)
2 cups cornmeal
2 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp salt (optional)
1 cup water Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a pot, boil water with a little oil.
3. To make the dough: mix ingredients together. Start with 1 cup of water (add more as needed).
4. Shape the dough to 3/4 inch thick rounds.
5. Cook the arepas in the boiling water (two at a time for a medium pot) for about 5-10 minutes.
6. Transfer arepas from the boiling water to a baking sheet.
7. Bake for about 25-30 minutes.
PLATANOS MADUROS (Fried Plantains)
Ingredients 3 plantains (black peel plantains are sweeter)
Salt to taste
1. Cut off ends of the plantain, remove peel, and cut 1.5-2 inch pieces at an angle.
2. Fry both sides in hot oil until golden brown.
3. Remove from oil and rest on paper towel.
4. Add salt to taste. Halve the arepas and layer in fillings of your choice. Isabel recommends avocado, black beans, and cheese with fried plantains.
Buen Provecho (Enjoy your meal)!
Subscribe to Microsoft on YouTube here: https://aka.ms/SubscribeToYouTube
Follow us on social: LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/micr…
For more about Microsoft, our technology, and our mission, visit https://aka.ms/microsoftstories
Tags: Microsoft Latinx