The best way to update your computer is to turn on automatic updating in Control Panel.
You might already have automatic updating turned on
To find out if automatic updating is turned on:
- Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
If you’re using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, and then click Search.
- Type Windows Update in the search box, tap or click Settings, and then tap or click Windows Update.
- Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button , clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Update.
- In the left pane, click Change settings.
- Under Important updates, choose the option that you want.
- Under Recommended updates, select the Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates check box, and then click OK. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
Manually update antivirus software
If you think your antivirus software isn’t updating automatically, and you feel comfortable with more advanced computer tasks, you can try manually updating it. If you have trouble installing other updates, see What do I do if my updates don’t install?
Looking for information about how to update Windows Phone? See Get automatic app updates.