It’s human nature to want the newest of the new, especially when it comes to technology. But you can get over any guilt you might feel about upgrading to a new computer, by recycling your old computer.
There are two safety concerns that you should think about when you discard an old PC:
- Disposing of your computer without harming the environment.
- Removing all the financial and other personal information from your computer so it can’t be accessed.
A Microsoft Authorized Refurbisher can help you do both of these.
Interested in buying a pre-owned computer? See Get a Refurbished Computer Today.
If you don’t want to use a refurbisher, here is a partial list of the places where personal information exists on your computer:
- Email contacts and messages
- Your documents
- Your computer’s recycle bin or trash folder
- Internet browser’s cache, cookies, and history
The best way to clear this information is with software. For more information and recommendations for software that will clean up your hard drive, see Protect and purge your personal files.