I am my mother’s tech support person. As the only employee of Microsoft in our family, the role naturally fell to me.
Even if you don’t work in the technology sector, I’ll bet that many of you are also charged with keeping your mom’s computer safe from malware and keeping her personal information out of the hands of cybercriminals.
In honor of Mother’s Day, here are five important gifts you can give your mom to help her secure her computer. (Hint: These work for dads too!)
1. Make sure your mom has automatic updating turned on. When regular or unscheduled updates are ready to download, she doesn’t have to think about it.
2. Make sure your mom has a firewall and that she keeps it turned on.
3. Scan your mom’s computer with the new Microsoft Safety Scanner and remove any malicious software that she might already have on her computer.
4. Install antivirus software from a trusted source and make sure it updates itself automatically. We recommend Microsoft Security Essentials.
5. Show your mom some examples of popular scams and warn her not to open spam email messages, not to click links on suspicious websites or in pop-up windows, especially when they claim to sell antivirus software.
If your mom is at all interested in learning how to do this herself (mine isn’t), don’t forget to sign her up for our security newsletter.