If you want to stay home and avoid the crowds this holiday season, you can do all your shopping online. But before you log on, make sure you know how to identify websites that won’t compromise your privacy.
Before you enter your credit card number, check for signs that a site is safe:
- Verify that the web address starts with https.
- Check for a lock icon in the web address window.
- Look for a seal of approval from an outside Internet trust organization.
Read more about how to know whether you can trust a website.
If you trust a website, there are still things that you can do to protect your privacy:
- Use a strong password that you don’t use at other sites. (Use this password tool to check the strength of your password.)
- If you use Internet Explorer 10, adjust your privacy settings.
- Avoid entering sensitive information if you’re using a public wireless network.
- Look for deals that are too good to be true. Read about a recent scam involving Xbox One.
Read more about how to make safer transactions online.