Technology can make everything in our lives easier—including sharing too much information (TMI). Just because you can take a picture of your new credit card and post it on Instagram doesn’t mean that you should. In fact, you shouldn’t.
Here are ways to avoid sharing TMI:
- Never share your address, phone number, Social Security number, or other personal information through online interactions.
- Use and manage your privacy settings. Limit who can see details of your online profiles.
- Never shop, bank, or enter passwords or credit card numbers over public Wi-Fi.
- Ask questions. Sometimes we do need to share personal information, but before doing so, ask why the information is necessary and beware of imposters.
- Use sites that you can trust. Learn what to look for.
- Stop and think before you post an image, blog, tweet, or comment. What does it say about you and how you want to be viewed online?
- Take charge of your online reputation: Discover, evaluate, protect, cultivate, and restore as needed.