One of the best defenses against viruses and other kinds of malicious software is ensuring that all of your built-in security settings are turned on and running smoothly.
Microsoft offers a free tool that will help diagnose and fix Windows security settings, so you don’t have to think about it.
Note: The Microsoft Malware Prevention troubleshooter does not work with Windows 8. Windows 8 includes Windows Defender, which is turned on by default.
Some examples of what it does:
- Checks status of your antivirus software and prompts you to update it.
- Checks Windows Update to help ensure your computer is kept current and secure.
- Resets User Account Control to default to help prevent unauthorized changes to your computer.
- Checks Internet Explorer privacy settings for safer browsing.
- Clears Internet Explorer history and cache.
- Checks if your version of Internet Explorer is up to date.