If you’re traveling with your laptop, tablet, smartphone, or other device this spring break, the following tips can help you stay safer online with a mobile device.
- Make sure your laptop or tablet has up-to-date antivirus and antispyware software installed. Windows 8 includes antivirus protection that’s turned on by default. If your computer isn’t running Windows 8, download Microsoft Security Essentials for free.
- Choose the most secure Wi-Fi connection. Both Windows 7 and Windows 8 can help you evaluate and minimize network security risks.
- Avoid entering passwords, credit card numbers, or other financial information on a less secure public network.
- Be careful about who you alert on your social networking site that your home will be empty.
- Be mindful of your online image. Remember that spring break photographs and videos that you post on the Internet could be there forever. Learn how to take charge of your online reputation.
- Lock your mobile phone with a unique, four-digit PIN. Keep it secret. Take our poll about mobile manners and safety and get more tips.