I have been asked more than a few times whether I think there are too many people involved in developing cloud security standards and best practices. The underlying concern is that when too many people get involved, the process of developing new standards becomes too bureaucratic and progress is slower than it should be. But, the process has to be inclusive enough so that important nuances from different markets and industries are not overlooked. This balance needs to be carefully managed.
When I asked Tim Mather, Advisory Director at KPMG who has been working on cloud data governance with the Cloud Security Alliance, about industry collaboration, he said, “the collaboration between industry is important, but collaboration with standards organizations, collaboration with government agencies, and collaboration with user groups is also very important. I think that the problem it poses however is that effectively you have almost too many cooks in the kitchen. And so the issue becomes not only collaboration but how you focus that collaboration so that it actually can move in near real-time.”
In this video Tim Mather provides his perspective on the topic which is top of mind for many people, industry collaboration on cloud security standards.
If you haven’t seen the other videos in this series, please view them using one of these links:
Cloud Fundamentals Video Series
- Introducing the Cloud Fundamentals Video Series
- Cloud Computing & Business Agility
- Cloud Computing Requires Transparency
- Cloud Transparency as an Element of Trust
- The Benefits of Industry Collaboration to Cloud Computing Security
- Benchmarks and Evaluation Standards for Cloud Computing Security
- Evaluating Different Cloud Service Offerings by Comparing Security Controls
- e-discovery in the Cloud
- Compliance in the Cloud
- Cloud Computing Privacy at Microsoft, Part 1
- Cloud Computing Privacy at Microsoft, Part 2
- The Importance of Secure Development Practices for Cloud Services
- Bring Your Own Device and the Cloud
- Windows Azure & the CSA STAR
- Philippe Courtot and Tim Rains Discuss Cloud Security
Please check back on this blog regularly as we continue the Cloud Fundamentals Video Series and explore topics that are important for IT professionals and business decision makers who are interested in cloud security, privacy, and reliability.